26.10.11

~Seasonal Eating~


I spent a rewarding time in the kitchen yesterday afternoon. I made the pumpkin cheesecake, and it turned out really well. I've made it before from a different recipe, but this was with low fat cream cheese. (Trying to cut back to lose weight!) It is not quite as sweet, but moist and tasty. Then I made Spiced Moroccan Butternut Squash. Very easy and delicious, I will definitely make this again. We ate it with lean boneless pork chops, and steamed broccoli. 

For Robyn, and anyone else that might like to try this...here is the recipe


Roasted Butternut Squash with Moroccan Spices
(Makes 3-4 servings..from Fine Cooking Magazine)


4-5 cups butternut squash, peeled and cut into 1" cubes (I used one large squash)
2 Tbsp Olive Oil (or slightly less)
1/2 tsp. kosher Salt
Fresh ground black pepper
sea salt, for seasoning cooked squash

Spice Mix (enough for 5 uses)

2 tsp ground cumin
1 tsp ground coriander
1/2 tsp chile powder
1/2 tsp sweet paprika
1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
1/4 tsp ground allspice
1/4 tsp ground ginger
1/8 tsp cayenne pepper
a pinch of cloves

Preheat oven to 450F

Peel butternut squash with veggie peeler, cut off ends and cut squash into cubes 1" square. Put squash into bowl and toss with olive oil, kosher salt, and pepper and 1 tsp of spice mixture. Stir well to get oil and spices evenly distributed on cut surfaces of squash.

Brush roasting pan with olive oil and arrange squash in a single layer. Roast for 40-50 minutes,  turning every 15 minutes or so. Squash is done when soft and lightly browned.
Season with sea salt and serve hot.
This spice mix is great on other roasted vegetables. Fine Cooking suggests carrots, cauliflower, parsnips, potatoes, sweet potatoes and turnips.

NB.I found when I went to stir after 15 minutes the squash was already soft, but not browned, so I turned the oven down to 350F and kept an eye on it until it was the colour you see on my photo.  It depends on your oven I guess, but as the cubes are small if it over cooks it just sticks to the pan. So see how it looks at the 15 minute mark.

6 comments:

  1. yum, can you share that moroccan recipe? it sounds really delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm drooling! That cheesecake looks great and the squash does too. Thanks for the recipe. I'll definitely try that.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm going to have to give this a go.. writing the recipe down - thanks Sheila!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Baked squash with baked salmon and wild rice is one of my favorite meals, will try adding the extra spices next time.

    I made Pumpkin Swirl Cheesecake one year for Thanksgiving, your photo makes me want to have it again, Sheila!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow that Squash looks so good. So does the cheesecake. Both are perfect dishes for this season. Loving your new fall look here Sheila.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for visiting. It's always good to have company!