9.2.11

~Mixed Bag~

The red rose whispers of passion,
And the white rose breathes of love;
Oh, the red rose is a falcon,
And the white rose is a dove.
But I send you a cream-white rose bud
With a flush on its petal tips;
For the love that is purest and sweetest
Has a kiss of desire on the lips.
~ John Boyle O'Rielly 1844-1890~


 I want to share these beautiful roses with you, given to me  by my husband to celebrate my reaching the grand age of sixty something. It will be a quiet celebration as my daughter and her family are away, so just my son and his family for tea and cake. I was born on a Wednesday around lunch time my mother told me, weighing 7lbs 6ozs.  My mother had bad morning sickness during her pregnancy, and the first thing she wanted to eat was Cadbury's milk chocolate. Obviously I come by my weaknesses honestly. I was the first grand daughter on my father's side and he wanted to call me Olwyn.  One of his favourite pieces of music was called 'Dream of Olwyn'
Fortunately he was outvoted.

We have been married 43 years this year, and we have only had two ranges in that time. The last one having become very unreliable we went shopping a couple of weeks ago, and I chose this.
It has an induction cook top, and a convection oven.  The oven has 2 self cleaning options, one being steam clean, it takes 20 minutes, and the other the traditional extreme heat method. I had to replace all my cookware, as it only works with steel (magnetic) based pots. It is safe and very quick, but is a learning experience.  My dilemma was that since my relatively new frig/freezer and dishwasher are white, what should I do regarding colour. I went with stainless and black, and so now must live with the mismatch for a couple of years before replacing the other pieces.
 The weather is bright and sunny, with a warm spell forecast for the weekend..above zero anyway. I do envy my British friends who are showing photos of snowdrops, and other early flowers. We are dog sitting Sylvia again, and since she is white and there is about 18 inches of snow in the garden, she tends to go missing once she gets outside. She doesn't seem bothered by the cold,  we just have to stay on watch as her hips are quite rickety and she sometimes over does things and has to be rescued. Just look out for a pair of brown ears moving through the drifts...

6 comments:

  1. Happy Birthday My Sweet Sweet Sheila! I hope your day is filled with sunshine, smiles, and wishes that come true.

    ((XxX))
    :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Happy Birthday, dear Sheila! :o) Your roses are so beautiful thank you for sharing them with us! x

    ReplyDelete
  3. have a wonderful birthday sheila... I love those roses... mine are just blooming and they are white too... love them! My kitchen is a mismatch too, with a stainless steel everything bar the fridge which is white... but it doesnt look too bad!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Happy Birthday, Sheila! The roses are beautiful! Having recently bought a new stove myself, I know how difficult thechoosing may have been...I went with stainless steel and black also!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Happy Birthday! Oh a new stove. I have never had a new one, it seems we just acquire whatever is in the house we are living in at the time. Just lovely! The roses are gorgeous in your photo. A lovely gift.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sadly I missed wishing you a happy birthday. It sounds lovely just like you.
    ((xx))

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for visiting. It's always good to have company!