29.9.10

~Baby Boo!!~

TO AUTUMN
Season of mists and mellow fruitfulness,
Close bosom-friend of the maturing sun;
Conspiring with him how to load and bless
With fruit the vines that round the thatch-eves run;
To bend with apples the moss'd cottage-trees,
And fill all fruit with ripeness to the core;
To swell the gourd, and plump the hazel shells
With a sweet kernel; to set budding more,
And still more, later flowers for the bees,
Until they think warm days will never cease,
For summer has o'er-brimm'd their clammy cells.
(from To Autumn by John Keats)


 
There are not many poems to beat this one when it comes to describing Autumn.
The first verse of Keats' poem (above) conjures up a wonderful picture, ripe with colour and a scent that only an Autumn day can bring. Inhale deeply the clean crisp air, this season is far too short.

My favourite Autumn day begins early in the morning, waking to a light frost, the kind that makes mundane things sparkle in the weak sunlight and turns dross into silver. Slowly, as the sun warms the day, a light mist envelops the garden as the moisture from the melted frost evaporates.  Leaving the house I can smell the delicious aroma of damp leaves and spent vegetation as I walk down the lane and across the field.
The air is crisp enough to make the end of my nose pink, and my eyes water, but I hasten my step and soon I am comfortably warm. Crows call from the tree tops, and somewhere a dog is barking as he greets the postman. Later, as I return home, the dampness is all but gone and along the lane I kick through the fallen leaves, they have a smell of their own, a blend as varied as their colours. Earthy, but sweet and mixed with the smoke from a gardener's bonfire. Perfection! 


These delightful little pumpkins are a variety called Baby Boo. They would be wonderful hollowed out just enough for a tea~light. They come in bigger sizes too ( a variety called Lumina)and lend themselves perfectly to the carving of ghostly faces. Today I plan to make pumpkin bread.  It's mild here, but overcast, so baking is a nice way to spend my afternoon. What are you doing?

11 comments:

  1. Oh Sheila ~ you have such a way with words! You can paint a picture and one can feel like they are right there!

    I remember way back, a few of you bloggers had a blog post once a week, where each of you would take turns telling the story by adding to it that particular week. LOVED IT! You were one of them, weren't you? There was a man from Colorado who painted dominoes and was also in an Orchastra who was involved in the story telling. Do you remember?

    Today, I am helping my mom fill out papers for leagal guardianship of my sister's children.
    :(

    Enjoy your day and I wish I could sit and have a slice of pumpkin bread with you!

    XxX

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's turned positively Septemberish here too. Your mini pumpkins are cute!
    Today I have started a new quilt. I've only had the pattern for five years already! Fast I am NOT!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I would love some pumpkin bread please! So hungry for it, been thinking about it. Also send some of those little baby boos my way too. So want some of them. Happy Autumn!

    ReplyDelete
  4. beautiful tiny pumpkins... I dont think we have those here... will have to look out for them...I should say boo...hoo....lol!

    ReplyDelete
  5. You describe autumn well, Sheila...there is nothing better than an early morning walk, which I do often...and I too go down the lane and across the field. I spent part of the day making Mail Art.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Dear Sheila,
    Summer zipped right by. I have been thinking of you.
    Glad to know all is well.
    Baby Boos are darling. Pumpkin bread would be delicious...
    Sherry

    ReplyDelete
  7. I remember having to learn Keats' poem by heart at school... can still quote most of it. September was lovely and now we are into October already.... get the winter underwear ready!

    ReplyDelete
  8. WE've got baby boos strewn all about our place aussi...are they not completely sweet?
    Save some pumpkin bread for me, though I think I may be too late :(

    ReplyDelete
  9. Baby Boo...they're so darling! I've never seen them that small before, will have to look around here. I love that poem and it certainly does put into words all that Autumn encompasses. Your walks also sound wonderful, I love walking when there's a nip in the air early mornings:-) It's been sunny today with a high of 8c so it was a perfect day to put away my faerie statues and other garden ornaments in my little shed. I still have the patio tables and chairs to put away but that can wait until tomorrow. Hope your weekend has been a lovely one. xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  10. Mmmm pumkin bread sounds wonderful! How quickly autumn came! We are all packed up and ready to ove.Takes place on the 15th in the meantime I'm fast tracking my business!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love how you described a perfect autumn day, Sheila ~ so beautiful.

    Those are the cutest little pumpkins!

    Hugs,
    Donna

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for visiting. It's always good to have company!