28.6.10

~Vacation, gotta get away~

I spent the rainy parts of this past weekend sorting out photos.
The one above was taken in Portugal in 2007.
That was quite the year for travel.
We went to Portugal, Spain, Morocco and Gibraltar,
as well as Cuba.
Since then we have stayed closer to home,
with trips to the lake and South Carolina.
I like to travel, to leave the every day behind,
and embark on adventure. We are not usually sit on
the beach people when we go away, we like to see as much as
possible and learn about the people who live
wherever we are visiting.
Soon we will go to the lake for our annual vacation,
spent with my sister and her husband.
My sis and I catch up and shop and lunch and laze and read,
while the guys golf and fish.
We really look forward to this each year.
These days we vacation closer to home.
But...some days the lure of foreign lands looms large..
Where is your favourite destination..?

10 comments:

  1. I am so not a good traveler! Thank goodness for Google Earth! I can "visit" anyplace on earth from the comfort of my own home....and wearing my jammies!

    Yosemite is a very special place for me. I do love going there but haven't been in several years. The crowds just kept getting bigger and bigger.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love Paris or the beach the most of all. Have a great trip.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Sheila, We have not taken a long vacation in several years. I love travel too...Lee not so much. Little getaways tide me over... mostly girl trips. There are plenty of places I still want to see...YES exploring is better than basking.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm having an at home year this year but normally I love to travel too. My favourite places are Florence in Italy and South Africa and New England of course! It's hard to choose really:) I loved the Carpathian mountains in Roumania too and Vienna and Prague....
    I'm very lucky to have had the chance to travel to so many wonderful places.

    ReplyDelete
  5. My favourite place to travel: Newfoundland! And I'll be there in a couple of weeks.... yippee!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sheila, you and I would get along great vacationing together. I love the same things.

    I'm so ready for a vacation, but, unfortunately, I doubt whether we'll get away this year.

    Hugs,
    Donna

    ReplyDelete
  7. I think if I traveled like you, I would do it the same way. I would want to see as much as I could and learn about the people.

    We don't really travel... NOT because of me, Charlie is a creature of habit. Blah ~

    When we go to the coast, we do sit on the beach a lot. I DO love that though, so I don't mind.

    I want to travel in the worst way! See, smell, touch everything!
    ;)

    Some day ~

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love to travel as well but it's usually to Niagara Falls! lol In fact, we're heading there for a few days again this coming weekend:-) Like you, I'm not the type to just laze on the beach when on vacation, I'd much rather go exploring. I know how much you look forward to being with your sister at the lake and no doubt are counting down the days:-) xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  9. you are so fortunate to be able to travel to all those places and more. I do like loll about time but you are right about exploring how people live...getting a real feel for a new place.
    We haven't been a real vaca in a very long time...and I am itching to go somewhere....any where!!
    Your time at the lake sounds so relaxing!
    XOXO

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for visiting. It's always good to have company!