28.2.10

~Pink isn't just for girls~

A pink hyacinth.
The fragrance from a single pot of hyacinth scents my whole house.
It is almost too much of a good thing.
Hyacinth was a beautiful youth
loved by both the god Apollo and the West Wind, Zephyr.
Apollo and Hyacinth took turns at throwing the discus.
Hyacinth ran to catch it to impress Apollo,
but was struck by the discus as it fell to the ground, and died.
A twist in the tale makes the wind god
Zephyrus responsible for the death of Hyacinth.
The youth's beauty caused a feud
between Zephyrus and Apollo.
Jealous that Hyacinth preferred the
radiant archery god Apollo,
Zephyrus blew Apollo's discus off course,
so as to injure and kill Hyacinth.
Apollo did not allow Hades to claim Hyacinth.
 Instead, Apollo made a flower,
the hyacinth,
 from Hyacinth's spilled blood.
The myth of Hyacinth inspired an opera by Mozart
called Apollo and Hyacinth.

6 comments:

  1. I love this photo!! And I learned something today, too. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cute followup post to ~Blue isn't just for boys~
    Lovely photograph. Are you having fun with O & B?
    xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the story..i did not know any of that! cool! Hyacinths smell so luscious.

    ReplyDelete
  4. beautiful story for a beatiful flower. Ive never seen a pink H before though..mine have always been blue! I thought they only came in that colour!! lol.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I had never heard this myth, how fascinating it is!! Now I will always think of it every time I see a Hyacinth:-) They certainly are gorgeous flowers. xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Sheila :) Really learned something new here and I love the smell of Hyacinths! Like your new blog.

    tea
    xo

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for visiting. It's always good to have company!