12.8.09

~Over the river and through the woods...~

It has been weeks since I was able to sit here and write a post. It feels like years. So much has happened and it has taken a while to adjust to the changes. First of all thank you to everyone who wrote to me, and commented on previous posts. Your unwavering friendship and kind thoughts and words made a huge difference to the way I was feeling. I am fortunate that all my memories of Dad are wonderful ones and they sustain me.
Ivo is still undergoing treatment, he's feeling well, and is positive and energetic, though I doubt if he would admit it if it were any different. He never seems to sit still, and puts me to shame. He has 2 more treatments and then has another surgery on September 23rd. Before then he is going with our son in law and some friends on a golfing trip to Arizona. I think it will do him good.
A few weeks ago we went to visit friends who are building a log house about 2 hours North of here. It is in a wonderful location, and is surrounded by forests and wildlife. It's another world, far removed from city life and is so peaceful and quiet. Their property goes back several hundred feet to a small lake and a beaver colony, complete with dams. They often see deer and bears in what will be their garden. After working in the city for many years they can't wait to retire and move there on a permanent basis.
While we were there, they took us to a wolf sanctuary. Haliburton Forest & Wild Life Reserve is a privately owned forest, 60,000 acres in size made up of hardwood forest, lakes rivers and wetlands. The Haliburton Forest Wolf Centre was opened in July 1996 with a pack of Great Wolves( Canis Lupus). In 1992 they were approached and asked to take on a captive wolf pack from Michigan. The pack, 6 wolves, were unsocialized but not wild, so release was not an option. It has evolved into an educational centre, with many different activities available to the public. This is a very condensed version of the info they provide and you can go to
Haliburton forest if you would like to learn more.


(The photos originally shown here were lost when I imported this blog from it's previous site. Sorry.)



 

20 comments:

  1. Beautiful pictures. I have spent a fair bit of time in the Haliburton area. My youngest brother lived there a few years. We have friends who are 4th generation in the area.

    If it is any help only the Alpha male has a mate.

    ReplyDelete
  2. So glad you are posting again dear Sheila. You were missed!

    Good to hear that Ivo is doing well.

    A cabin in the woods - sounds idyllic!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dear Sheila, so good to see you posting again, you sure have been missed:-) Glad to hear that your hubby is feeling well and able to keep busy...great idea for him to go on that golfing trip as well before his next surgery.

    I've never been to Haliburton and didn't realize they had a wildlife reserve there, how very interesting! The wolves are just gorgeous.

    Enjoy the rest of your summer dear friend. xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  4. Loved reading this post. I love wolves, though I have never had the opportunity to see them IRL.
    Glad that Ivo is feeling so well. His trip will be good for him.
    HugsXX

    ReplyDelete
  5. Welcome back Sheila! It's good to see you writing again and this trip allowed me to see things from your eyes...
    hugs!
    xoxoxoxo

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sheila,

    Oh I love the wolves. When I am in Yellowstone I never manage to get close enough for pictures like yours. I too like the black one...

    Kate

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wonderful! So glad you were able to get out into the wilds. Nature is so good for us.
    Stresses seems to fall away in the wilderness.
    Glad Ivo is doing well....attitude has everything to do with it!
    Love to you all.
    xx

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wonderful to see you back my friend,

    The pictures of the wolves are amazing,

    Heres to you and the family,

    Much love, Maithri

    ReplyDelete
  9. Sheila, I have always found nature to be so healing and renewing. I have been having a difficult summer myself, tho of course not as stressful as yours and Ivo's. But I do feel as if nature has been as refreshing to you as it has to me. Prayers every day for your Ivo, and for you to come out from under the crushing grief to a place where you can find a home for it that will not be so overwhelming to you. Love, Julie

    ReplyDelete
  10. Good to see you back. Your friends log cabin sounds like just what HB and I would love to have. And the photos of the wolves are fantastic!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I'm so glad that you are posting on your blog again, and that your husband is doing well. Life continues, doesn't it?
    Very interesting pictures of thr wolves, I'd love to visit that sanctuary. Wolves are such interesting creatures. And the haliburton area is lovely. I've just come back from a couple of days at Minden (not quite Haliburton but near) and last week I was in Newfoundland.... have posted some pics, more to be posted soon.
    Enjoy your summer.... it's August already! Time flies, right?

    ReplyDelete
  12. Wonderful pictures of the wolves! Glad to see you posting again.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Aloha Sheila,
    I have two of those living in my kitchen!!
    seriously, they are just so gorgeous, thanks for sharing..
    peace, Kai xx

    ReplyDelete
  14. How exciting for your friends...going back to the wilderness... :)

    I am glad you are feeling better, dear Sheila. I missed your stories :)

    Wolves are fascinating creatures and not at all like the Big Bad Wolf portrayed in Red Riding Hood...though I'm glad these ones are in a sanctuary... :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. Hello mam :)
    Good on ya matey for postin again. Love you! Those wolves are gorgeous. xo

    ReplyDelete
  16. Their all so beautiful! Thanks for sharing those photo's with us! :) I bet it was wonderful to be near them and see animals like that up close. :) Wonderful post!
    *HUGS*

    ReplyDelete
  17. you know this is right up my alley! How wonderful. We have a Wolf Sanctuary here...the Shy Wolf Sanctuary. I saw them on earth day ,but havent been t othe habitat.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Sheila, Sorry to here about your loss, it takes time to adjust. Glad to here hubby is doing well. I have started a new blog and I just found your blog again. Enjoy you on face book and now we have another way to stay in touch. Miss you girlfriend...Sharon K

    ReplyDelete
  19. Beautiful photos, Sheila, and what a beautiful place. I often thought it would be fun to live in a log cabin in the woods.

    Glad to hear you're feeling better and Ivo is doing well.

    Hugs,
    Donna

    ReplyDelete
  20. Your friends' cabin sounds wonderful. I'd love to visit the Wolf Sanctuary, they are my favourite animals, so beautiful and so intelligent. Hope Ivo enjoys his golfing trip.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for visiting. It's always good to have company!