24.8.09

~A face only a mother could love!~

 The Lama

The one-l lama,
He's a priest.
The two-l llama,
He's a beast.
And I will bet
A silk pajama
There isn't any
Three-l lllama.*

by

OGDEN NASH
*
(to which Nash appended the footnote *The author's attention has been called to a type of conflagration known as a three-alarmer. Pooh.)


Little known llama facts;
  • They hum to their babies (called crias)
  • They spit like camels (to whom they are related)
  • They make a gargling noise when sexually aroused!
  • Unlike sheep their hair is lanolin free
  • They can carry 25% to 30% of their body weight for many miles
  • Llamas are excellent at guarding sheep. If introduced to the flock prior to lambing, they will bond with the lambs. This is better done in a smaller enclosed area, than out in the field. They will protect against coyotes and wolves, (not packs obviously, but one or two)
  • They have been extinct in N.America for thousands of years.
  • They only exist now, as domesticated animals.
Aren't you glad you stopped by..!

12 comments:

  1. Wow, i love your new page look!! also love the headers and the cool background, it is so pleasant to the eyes!
    Sheila, we don't have llama here. A lot of animals that don't breed here in Asia, I only see in national geographic. But that llma looked cute, and not horrid.
    xoxoxoxo

    ReplyDelete
  2. Interesting post and the first picture is hilarious. It looks like it is wearing an ill fitting upper plate.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Funny animals! I like the fact that they hum to their babies.

    Hugs,
    Donna

    ReplyDelete
  4. I did not know all of that! Thank you so much, I really learned something, and the pictures are incredible.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am always glad to stop by

    There is a Llama farm just a few mile from here - they use their wool for knitting and weaving etc

    ReplyDelete
  6. Cute post.
    Lee doesn't gurgle but he gets that Llama look on his face....
    He used to anyway!
    :-)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Who knew how amazing the llama could be?!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Sheila, you take such good pictures that I could all most love that darling lama. I feel like I spent a day at the zoo. Thanks for the walk..Sharon K

    ReplyDelete
  9. This made me smile - thank you for reminding me of the wonderful Ogden Nash!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Yes, I am glad I stopped by, this post made me laugh easpecially the three-alarmer bit:)

    ReplyDelete
  11. My Grandmother taught me that rhyme when I was a child!
    I love llamas, & know they are very loyal.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for visiting. It's always good to have company!