23.6.09

~ In my garden this week ~ #15


Picnik collage

Foxgloves, clematis and iris prevail in my garden this week. Poppies and Astilbe  newly planted, also show promise of flowering soon.   The hot humid days remind me of childhood summers, days that grown ups would describe as ‘muggy’. I loved the freedom of summer as a child growing up in England. Long days when the sun always seemed to shine and endless afternoons spent in the village stream, catching minnows with a net. Picnics in the fields behind our house with friends, and picking wild flowers. When the sun wasn’t shining we would often get thunderstorms, which I loved and still do, and then the mugginess seemed to ease off for a while. Robert Louis Stevenson’s poems always evoke memories of those days, especially this one.
Summer Sun
Great is the sun, and wide he goes
Through empty heaven with repose;
And in the blue and glowing days
More thick than rain he showers his rays.
Though closer still the blinds we pull
To keep the shady parlour cool,
Yet he will find a chink or two
To slip his golden fingers through.
The dusty attic spider-clad
He, through the keyhole, maketh glad;
And through the broken edge of tiles
Into the laddered hay-loft smiles.
Meantime his golden face around
He bares to all the garden ground,
And sheds a warm and glittering look
Among the ivy's inmost nook.
Above the hills, along the blue,
Round the bright air with footing true,
To please the child, to paint the rose,
The gardener of the World, he goes.

Robert Louis Stevenson
We will be away next week, so I won’t be posting.
What’s happening in your garden this week?

12 comments:

  1. Beautiful flowers in a beautiful mosaic...found you as I was blog hopping...great blog...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Aloha sheila,
    My Columbine went to seed this week, so Ive been out cutting the pods and saving the seeds.
    The Clematis vine has launched a full attack on the chain link fence and has covered it in a plethora of flora and greenery..It's so pretty!!
    Weeds are popping up, and I have to move 3 minature trees as they are getting crowded..
    Have a lovely time next week.
    Peace,Kai

    ReplyDelete
  3. nice post sheila, it reminds me of my childhood summer too. however things here is kinda different, as the metro is experiencing storm signal #2. strong gutsy wind and non-stop rain that most streets are flooded now. infact classes had been cancelled.
    hey, enjoy your week long vacation!!
    love yah,
    xoxoxoxoxo

    ReplyDelete
  4. those english summer of our childhodd seemed to go on forever! I found it hard to go to bed on those summer nights when it was 9.30 or so and it was still light outside! here it gets dark at 7.30 in summer.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I remember those thundery summer days in England. We didn't have a fridge, in fact we didn't have electricity, and my mother had to boil the milk, cool it, pour it back into the glass milk bottles and stand it in the bathtub in cold water. I hated the taste of that boiled milk.
    My garden is looking a bit overgrown this week, I'll have to find time to go out there and do some weeding.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your garden is gorgeous! Your hard work in it is paying off!

    I loved the memory and could picture you doing it.

    I lost a native butterfly bush this week. I planted two of them. The butterflies are coming and I get excited about that because I have never had them in my yard.
    I will plant more for them next Spring.

    Have a wonderful time next week.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Have a lovely week. Sending you every blessing under the summer sun.
    :-)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Sheila, your flowers are beautiful! My foxglove haven't bloomed yet.

    What wonderful memories you have of summer as a child.

    Enjoy your time away!
    Hugs,
    Donna

    ReplyDelete
  9. Sheila gorgeous! Lifts my spirits!
    I have left you and the girls a comment in our little room.
    Thank you xo

    ReplyDelete
  10. Have a wonderful time and have a great week away.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I didn't know this R L Stevenson poem, it makes you see an old Victorian house in summer. Muggy is the word to describe today but there's a little rain to cool it off now. Have a lovely holiday.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for visiting. It's always good to have company!