8.5.09

~Take the fair of face…~

Fair of face..  

When my daughter was expecting her first child, we both knew it would be a girl. Gill didn’t ask the ultra sound technician, we just knew and waited until the day baby arrived.
She arrived on May 8th, 2000. She was adorable and I was honoured to be in the birthing suite when she made her appearance. When she was pronounced a girl, Gill and I just looked at each other and smiled.
She had a lusty cry, and was determined to make herself heard. Crying all through the procedures that nurses have to complete before handing the child to her parents for the first time. Finally, the nurses wrapped her in a blanket and she was handed to her father.
“Hello, Olivia” he said, “I’m Daddy”.
She stopped crying, and looked up with her big, beautiful eyes at  this man. She has worshipped him ever since. As she became a toddler her wispy hair became beautiful thick curls, her complexion, roses and cream. Today, on her ninth birthday, it is obvious what a beautiful person she is. Not just physically, but inside.  She is thoughtful, sensitive, artistic, and has a delightful sense of humour. She is intelligent, and asks questions that show she is a deep thinker. She is also a carefree and happy child.  We are blessed.
When she was about three I bought this print, it is framed and hanging in our home. To me it is the spirit of Olivia.
Happy Birthday Sweet Olivia, I am proud to be your Nana.. xox

‘Take the Fair Face of Woman,
and Gently Suspending,
With Butterflies,
Flowers, and Jewels Attending,
Thus Your Fairy is Made of Most Beautiful Things…..’
Sophie Gengembre Anderson (1823-1903)

13 comments:

  1. Happy Birthday to Olivia!
    She sounds like such a delightful little girl. I can tell how much you adore her :)
    xo

    ReplyDelete
  2. Happy Birthday Olivia! What a beautiful name!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a fabulous story - and a gorgeous picture and poem

    I can visualise every single description.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Aloha Sheila,
    Olivia is a lucky and very blessed child to have two such wonderful women in her life..
    and in return, she has the wisdom of the ages blessing her soul and the fun of a child forever in her heart..
    Happy ones!!
    Peace, Kai

    ReplyDelete
  5. what a lovely post Sheila - I am so looking forward to becoming a grandma one day! You are so blessed when you have grandkids!

    ReplyDelete
  6. You are so right she is adorable.
    Luckily I was able to meet darling "O" and her family last year. My love to them all
    MUAH!
    Happy Birthday to her.

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is the sweetest thing. I love that you have something in your home to represent your granddaughter.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I couldn't have said it better myself. So I won't.
    Thank you Mum.

    Thank you for being there nine years ago on that sunny May morning to share in our joy.

    xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a delightful post about your delightful granddaughter. And Olivia is such a lovely nname. My middle name is Olive.... I wish it was Olivia!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Simply Wonderful! You are a blessing to my garden - thank you for visiting my site. It is always a pleasure to stop by yours.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Shiela I new this was going to be a specila post seeing "the fairy" illustration..wink wink!
    Happy birthday to your Olivia!
    Wishing you a Happy Mother's day too!

    ReplyDelete
  12. What a beautiful story. Happy Birthday to Olivia! And Happy Mother's Day too!

    Hugs,
    Donna

    ReplyDelete
  13. Happy birthday to your grandaughter. She sounds beautiful (and lucky to have such an adoring grandmother).

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for visiting. It's always good to have company!