11.5.09

~ In my garden this week ~ #9


Vintage ads (21)
 
We have had  sunny, bright days and cool, wet days. The days I had earmarked for gardening were the wet and cool ones. I did manage some weeding, but the side border is still growing rampantly into the lawn and  it will be a good days work when I am finally able to tidy it up. Last night went down to 3c,  and  justifies the May 24th  planting date for annuals and tender plants. The tulips are still doing well and because of the different varieties their flowering has been staggered. I’ve always tried to plant things in groups where the colours are complimentary.  I especially like the lime green Spirea leaves with the purple/pink tulips. As you can see the dandelions are thriving! There are still  jonquils yet to flower, and the cherry blossom is very slow.  I am very  fond of coloured foliage as even when there is nothing in bloom, they give the borders some much needed colour.   The heucheras, ‘plum pudding’ and ‘chocolate ruffles’ ninebark ‘coppertina’  and euonymus ‘emerald gaiety’ are doing well.   The euonymus was clipped back hard in early spring, and it is doing very well with lots of  new  variegated  growth. It keeps it’s colour well in winter, and develops a pink tint to the leaves. 
stormymorning
I have lots of photos this week, so enough chit chat..what’s happening in your garden this week.. dandelions blossom1maple budsjapanesemapleandtulips ninebark, coppertinaforget me notheuchera,plum puddingbuds  

9 comments:

  1. I actually got my recalcitrant lawn mower started... all by myself yesterday, and cut the weeds, I mean the grass.
    But something is eating the heads off my tulips.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm such a fan of your photos. We are mowing twice a week and have had our generally safe to plant date this weekend on Mother's Day. I've done my first set of Basil in the peat pots and they are sending up the false leaves. I generally don't plant until the twentieth of May as I think we have too much snow before then. Not always, but I'm not wasting the energy or crops to put them in yet.

    ReplyDelete
  3. My dad used to get that magazine! I used to look at it and wonder 'why?' when I was little. There were no cartoons in it!
    Lovely pics Sheila :o)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I truly enjoy your garden! Thank You ..Merci ! for letting me know the name of the tree here! I love it..Flamboyant is good..haha It needs a cool name like that. Bright flowering trees and blossoms make me happy and there are plenty around these parts.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I just love that cover from Amateur Gardening - what a wonderful, evocative picture, how I wish I could step into it!

    ReplyDelete
  6. My goal is to have something to take a picture of in my garden soon. And, yes, it may be dandylions!

    ReplyDelete
  7. In my garden, nothing as beautiful as this is happening! About the only thing growing is the grass. And we do have a few roses blooming. That's about it.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Such lovely things growing there, and I know you have worked to make it so.

    ReplyDelete
  9. You photos are lovely of course but I love that vintage magazine cover you used! Neat!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for visiting. It's always good to have company!