6.4.09

~ In my garden this week ~ #4





I decided to post the picture of this lovely dog that was sent to me in an email. I don't know her name, or who she belongs to, but isn't she gorgeous? I needed to get some colour for this post somewhere..! Winter has appeared once more, with wet snow falling for most of today. Apart from a couple of sunny days last week, when I was able to tidy the front garden, it has been too wet and too cold to work outside.
The stone frogs are still hiding under the boxwood. Winter descended quickly last year and with PH going into hospital, I had a quick tidy round the garden and missed this pair. They seem okay for having spent the winter outside however.
The front border is now tidy. It was raked along with the lawn, and as you can see the tulips are coming through and growing quickly. The first time I've seen this, as tulips seem to come into their own (in my garden at least) at the end of April. Normally daffodils would be up and flowering well before the tulips reached this stage. No complaints from me, I'll take what I can get. The "doo-dads" placed here and there are to stop the paper girl from stepping on the soil and crushing the plants, it's worked so far, and no sign of the rabbits yet this year, so I'm hoping they have found greener pastures.
This is a picture of a European Robin (erithacus rubecula) for Krissie at Winter*Wood. The sweet little Christmas bird that always adorned the cards and calendars of my childhood. They are 14cm (5.5") long and like the North American Robin were classified as a thrush, but is now considered to be an Old World Flycatcher (muscicapidae)
These are not the robins we get Krissie. Ours are North American Robins (turdus migratorious)
they are 20-28 cm (10-11") long, or as an English visitor of mine once remarked, a 'man eating' robin! There is also an Australian robin that Krissie would know and it is related to the crow.
Albinism occurs when the bird makes no pigment, and while researching this I learned that it occurs in robins more than any other bird. I have yet to see one, but it is thought that 1 robin in 30,000 is albino. Who knew...?
What is happening in your garden this week..?

12 comments:

  1. Dear Sheila,
    I so love the little English Robin...such a sweet little bird.
    I also was able to get another flower bed cleaned up before the north wind blew ice and snow...too cold today to be out in the gardens. So nice to see the tulips are coming up. It is April so soon the warm air will stay. Winter just does not want to give up!
    Happy Easter.
    Sherry

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello Sherry..
    Winter is hanging on isn't it?
    It must be quite confusing for the plants and animals.
    I read a quote recently that says it in a nutshell...
    The first day of Spring isn't necessarily the first Spring day.
    How true that is!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think we got rid of most of our snow today and tomorrow is supposed to get up to 60 degrees F. I sure hope so. The weekend was so cold and windy.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Krissie at winterwoodApril 6, 2009 at 7:50 PM

    Oh the english robin is so terribly sweet isnt he? So small and dainty! wow I didnt know you had some over there too but they do look so different!! I'm off to google an australian robin... thank you for posting in this pic for me... I'm able to read blogs today but not my emails - this comp is driving me nuts!!

    Have a lovely easter sheila!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. All I can say is at least you have a garden....we have no blooms of color and leaves of green. We had hoped this year we would but alas. I am hoping to plant some containers for the front porch to at least have the illusion of a garden.
    I know you are sick of the snow and winter so I wish you long lasting sunny Spring days very soon.
    We do have our bird feeders full so it's nice to see our feathered friends back for a nosh.
    Thinking of you with love,
    Lisa
    XOXOXOXO

    ReplyDelete
  6. an australian robin? that would be me :) - seriously I don't think I knew that...

    I didn't realize that you have to put your garden statues away during winter..

    enjoy your spring xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Mary,
    we had more snow last night, a few mm's. It is still on the ground but as the temps are supposed to go up in the next day or so it will soon be gone.
    (She said hopefully!)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Krissie,
    Well now, I know I said they are related to the crow, but I find that as I google pics of Australian Robins they are more like a fly catcher and like the English Robins. There are a couple with yellow breasts too. But it seems your Flame Robin is very similar ..

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi Lisa,
    nice to see you here!
    Wouldn't it be nice if we could homogenize the world's weather and get a lovely planet wide temperate climate for 12 months of the year..! If you are gonna dream, dream big..!
    Meanwhile we have more snow..

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi Robyn
    of course you were the first one I thought of..!
    I've sent you a link to a bird site there, and I see there are several robins, but one in particular is beautiful.
    Gosh you have some fantastic birds over there..!
    I bring my garden decorations etc in as it gets so cold some of the pottery and stone/cement things would crack. I've had those frogs/toads for years and they seem pretty hardy as they have been forgotten before this year.
    I hope you are enjoying Fall.
    As much as we welcome Spring and Summer, we are always happy to see the seasons change. (not counting winter..!)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Aloha Sheila,
    I love english robins, the last time I saw one was inside the Eden project with Mum and Lorna last march.
    I've seen Albino robins here, I mistook them for white doves at first.
    http://www.pbase.com/golfpic/image/29884329
    but they are few and far between..

    LOVe, LoVe, lOvE, the puppie!!!
    PEace, Kai xx

    ReplyDelete
  12. I'm wondering if I have seen albino robins too, and thought they were doves or something else.
    Isn't the dog lovely, she has such a sweet laughing face.
    x

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for visiting. It's always good to have company!